Bending Rolls Resources
Looking for information on Piranha-Bertsch bending rolls? Here is some information to help you along the way.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us today, and we’ll be glad to provide the information you need.
Keep it in Great Shape
Bending Roll Machine Performance Audits
Piranha-Bertsch plate rolls are built to last, but even the heaviest, most solid machines benefit from a check-up and an update every now and then.
Schedule an MPA (Machine Performance Audit). A trained Piranha-Bertsch technician inspects your machine and provides a roadmap to increasing and maintaining your accuracy and productivity.
A sampling of items inspected during a Piranha-Bertsch MPA:
- Test Safety Systems
- Overall Machine Appearance
- Condition of Roll Forgings
- Condition of Roll Journal Bearings
- Bearing Boxes and Housing Ways
- Condition of Gear Train (if applicable)
- Electrical System and Controls
- Roll Leveling and Meter Calibration (if applicable)
- Hydraulic System (if applicable)
You receive a written report detailing maintenance or repair recommendations, required parts and an estimate of hours to complete the work.
- 10% discount on replacement or repair parts.
- 20% discount from current service rates on additional days labor.
Contact us for further assistance..
Available Machine Retrofits
Many of our earlier mechanical plate bending machines are equipped with the slip ring type motor to provide plate feeding power, and this was controlled by a manual reversing drum controller operating in conjunction with grid resistors to the secondary circuit of the slip ring motor.
This drum controller was always an expensive item to maintain and it has now also become expensive to replace. Recent federal, state, local electrical and OSHA codes usually require reduced voltage control circuits, which were not possible with the earlier style drum controller which used full line voltage for operation.
In view of the above, we have no developed and can furnish for any of our machines equipped with the manual drum controller a tri-speed electrical control package. This controller will eliminate the full voltage manual drum controller, and has been designed to replace the electrical control items for the earlier machines.
In the tri-speed control package, all controls are rewired and mounted in a single NEMA-12 enclosure. This NEMA-12 cabinet is bolted to a platform designed to mount on the front side of your machine at the drive end. The platform also provides adequate guarded space below in NEMA-12 cabinet to mount the necessary grid resistors.
The package also includes a simplified operator control console, conveniently attached to the NEMA-12 cabinet. The console incorporates a rugged spring-centered safety joy stick operating at reduced voltage, and for controlling the forward-neutral-reverse roll feeding action. For maximum safety to the machine operator, the plate feeding action is a two handed operation, which requires both hands on the control desk during rotation of the roll forgings.
The tri-speed control package utilizes the existing wound rotor, main drive motor and grid resistors. If the present main drive motor is not equipped with a brake, then the correct size brake must be added in order for the complete machine to meet current safety standards.
If a brake cannot be added to your present main drive, wound rotor motor, then it will be necessary for you to purchase a new main drive motor complete with the proper brake. The prices now quoted only include out tri-speed control package, but we can also furnish assistance toward equipping the machine with the necessary brake on the main drive, wound rotor motor.
Please contact us for further information if this type of assistance is required.
In order for any machine to pass current safety requirements, it is also necessary to install around the entire nip point area some type of device to allow anyone in this area to stop the machine quickly. In view of this, we also offer with our new tri-speed control package our safety or emergency stop kit.
The complete specifications for the retrofit electrical package and also the emergency stop kit are as follows:
Multi-motor control cabinet including all of the following control items mounted and wired to terminal strips:
- Manual, fused disconnect with lock-feature.
- 110 volt control transformer and separately fused and grounded control circuit.
- Reversing starter for the main drive plate feeding motor with thermal protection.
- Two additional contractors providing the second and third speed points of the main drive motor-grid resistor speed control system.
- Main drive motor brake control circuit.
- Reversing starter for the rear roll adjusting motor with thermal overload protection.
- Two reversing starters, each with thermal overload protection, and for the two motors used for adjusting the lower front pinch roll. (This item is optional, and not included when machine has manual adjustment for the lower front pinch roll.)
Operator control station, rigidly attached to the above control panel with the following items mounted and wired for operation:
- Combination push-to-stop, pull-to-start mushroom switch.
- Special spring return to stop joy-stick switch for the main drive plate feeding system having three speed points forward and three speed points reverse.
- Vertically mounted safety mushroom switch which must be depressed (simultaneously with the operation of the main drive) this requiring two hand operation to run the main drive motor.
- Spring return to stop joy-stick switch for up-down control of the rear roll.
- Optional (two) spring return to stop joy-stick switches for up-down control of the lower front roll power wedge motors.
- Duplicate copies of electrical wiring diagrams and electrical replacement parts number.
Emergency safety kit including the following:
- Two (front and rear) emergency stop switches, guides, and cable.
- Duplicate safety warning plates of durable metal.
Thermal Cutting Machines
- 650 Race St. P.O. Box 1206
Rockford IL 61105, USA
- Toll Free: 800-338-5471
- Local: 815-964-6771
- Fax: 815-964-3175